Monday, July 15, 2013


The third maintenance release for 1.8.3.x series is now available at the usual places. It contains the following fixes that have already been applied to the 'master' branch for 1.8.4.
  • "git apply" parsed patches that add new files, generated by programs other than Git, incorrectly.  This is an old breakage in v1.7.11.
  • Older cURL wanted piece of memory we call it with to be stable, but we updated the auth material after handing it to a call.
  • "git pull" into nothing trashed "local changes" that were in the index.
  • Many "git submodule" operations did not work on a submodule at a path whose name is not in ASCII.
  • "cherry-pick" had a small leak in its error codepath.
  • Logic used by git-send-email to suppress cc mishandled names like "A U. Thor" <author@example.xz>, where the human readable part needs to be quoted (the user input may not have the double quotes around the name, and comparison was done between quoted and unquoted strings).  It also mishandled names that need RFC2047 quoting.
  • "gitweb" forgot to clear a global variable $search_regexp upon each request, mistakenly carrying over the previous search to a new one when used as a persistent CGI.
  • The wildmatch engine did not honor WM_CASEFOLD option correctly.
  •  "git log -c --follow $path" segfaulted upon hitting the commit that renamed the $path being followed.
  • When a reflog notation is used for implicit "current branch", e.g. "git log @{u}", we did not say which branch and worse said "branch ''" in the error messages.
  • Mac OS X does not like to write(2) more than INT_MAX number of bytes; work it around by chopping write(2) into smaller pieces.
  • Newer MacOS X encourages the programs to compile and link with their CommonCrypto, not with OpenSSL.