The latest feature release Git 1.7.7 is available.
The release tarballs are found at:
and their SHA-1 checksums are:
Also the following public repositories all have a copy of the v1.7.7 tag and the master branch that the tag points at:
url = git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
url = https://code.google.com/p/git-core/
url = git://git.sourceforge.jp/gitroot/git-core/git.git
url = git://git-core.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/git-core/git-core
url = https://github.com/gitster/git
The release tag and the tarballs can be verified with my GPG key if anybody is so inclined. To get my public key:
$ git fetch git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git refs/tags/junio-gpg-pub
$ git rev-parse FETCH_HEAD
$ git cat-file blob FETCH_HEAD | gpg --import
and then make sure that you got my key by checking the output from "gpg --fingerprint", which should contain these lines:
pub 1024D/F3119B9A 2004-01-28
Key fingerprint = 3565 2A26 2040 E066 C9A7 4A7D C0C6 D9A4 F311 9B9A
uid Junio C Hamano <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The tarball description at http://code.google.com/p/git-core/downloads/list contains the same list of SHA-1 checksums shown above and signed with my GPG key.
Git v1.7.7 Release Notes
Updates since v1.7.6
* The scripting part of the codebase is getting prepared for i18n/l10n.
* Interix, Cygwin and Minix ports got updated.
* Various updates to git-p4 (in contrib/), fast-import, and git-svn.
* Gitweb learned to read from /etc/gitweb-common.conf when it exists,
before reading from gitweb_config.perl or from /etc/gitweb.conf
(this last one is read only when per-repository gitweb_config.perl
does not exist).
* Various codepaths that invoked zlib deflate/inflate assumed that these
functions can compress or uncompress more than 4GB data in one call on
platforms with 64-bit long, which has been corrected.
* Git now recognizes loose objects written by other implementations that
use a non-standard window size for zlib deflation (e.g. Agit running on
Android with 4kb window). We used to reject anything that was not
deflated with 32kb window.
* Interaction between the use of pager and coloring of the output has
been improved, especially when a command that is not built-in was
* "git am" learned to pass the "--exclude=<path>" option through to underlying
* You can now feed many empty lines before feeding an mbox file to
* "git archive" can be told to pass the output to gzip compression and
* "git bisect" can be used in a bare repository (provided that the test
you perform per each iteration does not need a working tree, of
* The length of abbreviated object names in "git branch -v" output
now honors the core.abbrev configuration variable.
* "git check-attr" can take relative paths from the command line.
* "git check-attr" learned an "--all" option to list the attributes for a
* "git checkout" (both the code to update the files upon checking out a
different branch and the code to checkout a specific set of files) learned
to stream the data from object store when possible, without having to
read the entire contents of a file into memory first. An earlier round
of this code that is not in any released version had a large leak but
now it has been plugged.
* "git clone" can now take a "--config key=value" option to set the
repository configuration options that affect the initial checkout.
* "git commit <paths>..." now lets you feed relative pathspecs that
refer to outside your current subdirectory.
* "git diff --stat" learned a --stat-count option to limit the output of
a diffstat report.
* "git diff" learned a "--histogram" option to use a different diff
generation machinery stolen from jgit, which might give better
* "git diff" had a weird worst case behaviour that can be triggered
when comparing files with potentially many places that could match.
* "git fetch", "git push" and friends no longer show connection
errors for addresses that couldn't be connected to when at least one
address succeeds (this is arguably a regression but a deliberate
* "git grep" learned "--break" and "--heading" options, to let users mimic
the output format of "ack".
* "git grep" learned a "-W" option that shows wider context using the same
logic used by "git diff" to determine the hunk header.
* Invoking the low-level "git http-fetch" without "-a" option (which
git itself never did---normal users should not have to worry about
this) is now deprecated.
* The "--decorate" option to "git log" and its family learned to
highlight grafted and replaced commits.
* "git rebase master topci" no longer spews usage hints after giving
the "fatal: no such branch: topci" error message.
* The recursive merge strategy implementation got a fairly large
fix for many corner cases that may rarely happen in real world
projects (it has been verified that none of the 16000+ merges in
the Linux kernel history back to v2.6.12 is affected with the
corner case bugs this update fixes).
* "git stash" learned an "--include-untracked option".
* "git submodule update" used to stop at the first error updating a
submodule; it now goes on to update other submodules that can be
updated, and reports the ones with errors at the end.
* "git push" can be told with the "--recurse-submodules=check" option to
refuse pushing of the supermodule, if any of its submodules'
commits hasn't been pushed out to their remotes.
* "git upload-pack" and "git receive-pack" learned to pretend that only a
subset of the refs exist in a repository. This may help a site to
put many tiny repositories into one repository (this would not be
useful for larger repositories as repacking would be problematic).
* "git verify-pack" has been rewritten to use the "index-pack" machinery
that is more efficient in reading objects in packfiles.
* test scripts for gitweb tried to run even when CGI-related perl modules
are not installed; they now exit early when the latter are unavailable.
Also contains various documentation updates and minor miscellaneous
Fixes since v1.7.6
Unless otherwise noted, all fixes in the 1.7.6.X maintenance track are
included in this release.
* "git branch -m" and "git checkout -b" incorrectly allowed the tip
of the branch that is currently checked out updated.